Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Fourth July Selection, 2012



There has to be something under this
I can feel it.
The way I became obsessed with forgiveness
the theology of it
after that night.


I thought that in forgiving
rushing there
I might get back to the ground
that unground


To God
Who I needed
and thought I could find
on that mountain

He choked me
with arms that read
Om Mani Padme Hum

We were buying our enlightenment
Your level 5 beat my 1  
I stopped climbing 

I came down the mountain
looking for the home 

where we lived before the words
and the prayers
and the spiritual tattoos

the mistakes that lost us

So
Whatever is underneath,

I know that
it is not the ink 
that makes the book holy

and mountains are just piles of dirt
that go up and down

and that you will forgive
me 
when I stand in the pulpit
boldly preaching the wrong directions

Just like you forgave us all 
the minute we left. 

--“Rachel”

No comments: